Firefighters Contain Smoldering Fire to Save Otoe Residence
Firefighters extinguished a smoldering fire in an Otoe residence Saturday, containing it to a bedroom area of the basement.
Syracuse firefighters arrived shortly after 2 p.m. Chris Lutjemeyer and two others were on the initial interior attack.
Lutjemeyer: "Didn't see any flames, a lot of smoke. A couple of windows were broke from the heat. We vented the house and found the fire in the lower basement room."
A neighbor, Laura Wilkinson, dialed 9-1-1 after her husband saw smoke coming from the house.
Wilkinson: "There were no flames, there was just smoke coming out of one of the bedroom windows. The sheriff made sure there was nobody there at home, but he said the doors were hot to the touch so he didn't want any of the doors opened up at least until the fire department got here."
No one was home at the time of the fire. Scott Smith lives in the house with two children. His ex-wife's sister, Pam Winkler, has a room in the basement.
Firefighters from Otoe, Dunbar and Unadilla also responded.
The cause of the fire at 623 Third St. was undetermined Saturday.